1. I was so________the night before my examination that I could not
2. Whether you learn or not is entirely ________ you.
A. up to
B. as to
C. about to
D. due to
3. I finally________ to study much harder in the future.
B. made up my mind
C. worked out
D. made out
4. The old couple decided to________ a boy though they had three of their own.
5. The population of the world is growing at a dangerous________.
6. Alice trusts you; only you can________ her to give up the foolish idea.
7. When Mary paid the bill she was given a ________ for her money.
8. You must walk slowly if you want the children to________you.
A. put up with
B. come up with
C. keep up with
D. go on with
9. Little John caught a ________fish this morning.
10. I took the medicine, but it didn’t have any________ on me.
11. The age of the students in this class________ from eighteen to twenty.
12. He ________ a knowledge of this language by careful study.
13. We develop trade with that company for our shared________.
14. If you take this medicine twice a day, it should ________ your cold.
15. Her face is_________ to me, but I can’t remember where I saw her.
16. You’ll have to book the tickets for the holiday in_________.
17. Children who are overprotected by their parents may become_________.
18. Kids are very curious_________.
A. at heart
B. in person
C. by nature
D. on purpose
19. Your brother is very tall. What is his exact________?
20. Many new ____ will be opened up in the future for those with a university education.
A)opportunities B) necessities
C) realities D) probabilities
21. The rain was heavy and _____ the land was flooded.
A. consequently B. continuously
22. I couldn't find _____, and so I took this one.
A a large enough coat
C a large coat enough
B an enough large coat
D a coat enough large
23. Mr. Smith is too busy to spare any time, _____ Sunday afternoon.
A. only in
B. except for
C. unless on
D. except on
24. ______ a young woman, the office was empty.
A. But for
B. Except for
25. His son is quite well now, ______a slight fever.
C. in addition to
D. except for
26. It was almost dark in the street ______ a few very powerful spotlights.
B. except for
D. but for
27. The population of the world is growing at a dangerous _______.
(pace n.步速 measure n.措施
28. I am _____ of what he is going to do.
29. The color ____ from yellow though green to black.
30. I tried to catch the ball but it was _____ my reach.
C. in addition to
D. as well as
31. Those scientists were conducting an experiment and expected a good ______.
32. What they have done for us can’t be measured in ______ of money.
33. I was surprised to find his article on such an ____ topic so ______.
A. excited; boring
B. exciting; boring
C. excited; bored
D. exciting; bored
34. You can speak ______ in front of George, but you can’t eat ____ in his restaurant.
A. freely; free
B. free; freely
C. free; free
D. freely; freely
35. His speech was so interesting that is was constantly ______ by applause.
36. He has planed to ______ some money every month so that he can buy a house in the future.
A. set aside
B. set up
C. set in
D. set along
37. The speaker doesn’t know how to ____ his arguments.
A. put aside
B. put away
C. put across
D. put down
38. There is no _______ medicines for Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome.
39.They are _______ to arrive in time owing to the heavy snowstorm.
40. They made every effort to _______ the costs of the construction project.
A. bring off
B. bring down
C. bring back
D. bring up
41. The violinist who had been praised very highly _________ to be a great disappointment.
A. turned up
B. turned out
C. turned in
D. turned over
42. A lot of new difficulties _____ when the tax system came into existence.
43. The applicant felt ______ and uncomfortable when he couldn’t answer the interviewer’s questions.
44. We should value the rich legacy of literature which the old generation has _____ to us.
A. handed out
B. handed over
C. handed in
D. handed down
45. The news came as a shocking blow that the young man had ____ suicide.
46. She was so _____ in the computer games that she forgot to have class.
47. There is no ______ arguing about it, just do as you are told.
48. We plan to increase the output of the machine _______ 7.4 percent this year.
49. Henry looked very much _______ when he was caught cheating in the exam.
50. We are interested in the weather because it _____ us so directly.